Plastic packaging are used in large amounts. This requirement aims to increase the recyclability if the packaging by limiting the choices of plastics to be used, exclude coloured packaging and avoid metals and fillers in the plastic packaging.
Primary packaging, closures and labels shall fulfill the following:
- The primary packaging1 and closure2 shall be made from one of the following plastics:
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- The label shall not be made from PS (polystyrene) or halogenated plastics.
- Metal parts shall not be part of the packaging1, closure2 or label.
- The primary packaging1 shall be white or uncoloured.
- The closure2 shall not be black.
- Fillers (such as CaCO3) shall not be included in PE or PP packaging1 and closures2 at a level that the density of the plastic exceeds 0.995g / cm3.
- Easily separable metal parts in spray or pump npzzles or dosing systems.
- Metals in i RFID labels
- Packaging containing recycled plastics (Post Consumer Recycled) may be coloured/tinted. The colouration must not be done with Carbon Black.
- Liners are exempted if they are easily separated from the packaging or closure.
- Lightsensitive products may be packed in coloured packaging, but the colouration must not be done with Carbon black.
- Rubber parts and thermoplastics in closures
1Primary packaging includes bottle, container or similar. Pouches are not included in this requirement.
2Closure includes caps/lids and mounted dosage equioment/pumps.
- Ecolabels fulfilling the requirement, for example:
License in accordance with Nordic Ecolabelling’s criteria for:
Hand dishwashing detergents, version 6.0
Cleaning products, version 6.0
- Packaging specifications (inkluding bottle, container, label and closure) showing:
The materials in the packaging and closure
The colour of the packaging and closure
Calculation of the density to ensure that the density limit is not exceeded.
- Other verification ensuring that the requirement is fulfilled.
If the requirement is verified with an ecolabel, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This can be controlled here: Nordic Ecolabelling.
Check the packaging specification to ensure that it is in accordance with the requirement. Check in the specification what colours that have been used in the packaging and closures to ensure that the requirement is fulfilled. Check any calculations on the fillers to ensure that the density limits are fulfilled.
The requirements for chemical-technical products are mainly set for the properties of products and the substances contained, and only in exceptional cases are requirements set for limiting individual specified substances. The intention with this approach is to stimulate technical development so that the environmental and health characteristics of chemical-technical products are continuously improved. Another important idea behind the criteria is to combine the lifecycle perspective with a risk perspective, in other words, focusing on aspects where there is significant risk of substances contained impacting on health or the environment. In some cases, specific relevant exceptions from the requirements are stated.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
Current KravID: 11287
Version date: 5/7/2019 12:00:00 AM