Plastic packaging advanced
Plastic packaging are used in large amounts. This requirement aims to increase the recyclability if the packaging by limiting the choices of plastics to be used, exclude coloured packaging and avoid metals and fillers in the plastic packaging.
- Technical specification
- Cosmetic products
Primary packaging, closures and labels shall fulfill the following:
- The primary packaging1 and closure2 shall be made from one of the following plastics:
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- The label shall not be made from PS (polystyrene) or halogenated plastics.
- Metal parts shall not be part of the packaging1, closure2 or label.
- The primary packaging1 shall be white or uncoloured.
- The closure2 shall not be black.
- Fillers (such as CaCO3) shall not be included in PE or PP packaging1 and closures2 at a level that the density of the plastic exceeds 0.995g / cm3.
- Easily separable metal parts in spray or pump nozzles or dosing systems.
- Metals in i RFID labels
- Sealings that are removed before use are exempted from the requirement on metals.
- Liners are exempted if they are easily separated from the packaging or closure.
- Packaging containing recycled plastics (Post Consumer Recycled) may be coloured/tinted. The colouration must not be done with Carbon Black.
1Primary packaging includes bottle, container or similar. Pouches are not included in this requirement.
2Closure includes caps/lids and mounted dosage equioment/pumps.
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Packaging specifications (inkluding bottle, container, label and closure) showing:
The materials in the packaging and closure
The colour of the packaging and closure
Calculation of the density to ensure that the density limit is not exceeded.
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Check the packaging specification to ensure that it is in accordance with the requirement. Check in the specification what colours that have been used in the packaging and closures to ensure that the requirement is fulfilled. Check any calculations on the fillers to ensure that the density limits are fulfilled.
If the requirement has been verified with a self-declaration verified by an accredited body, request the supplier's self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance that has been verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029.
Information about the criterion
This requirement does not cover products sold in pouches. Requirement for pouches is only available as spearhead requirement, requirement ID 11334.
The requirement cannot be used in combination with the core requirement for plastic packaging, requirement ID: 11293.
There are currently no accredited verification bodies according to ISO / IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies), as it is a relatively new standard. However, this may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. This possibility is therefore included in the list of possible verifications. More information about the standard is available at www.swedac.se.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date
Version 11294:1 The exemption for easily separable metal parts in spray or pump nozzles has been extended to also include plastic parts