For products containing palm oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil derivatives and/or palm kernel oil derivatives, the production of this raw material shall comply with one of the following two alternatives:
1. Is produced in such a way that, at a minimum, it covers the following
- Implemented routines that ensure that the conversion to agricultural land does not result in deforestation or damage to areas of high conservation value1. The evaluation of what is regarded as high conservation value can be undertaken in agreement with the High Conservation Value Approach2, or a similar evaluation method relevant for the geographical area.
- The planting of oil palms on peatlands is prohibited as of November 2018. This applies to both existing and new plantations.
- The use of plant protection products shall be in accordance with the principles for Integrated Pest Management (IPM3). This involves preventing plant protection problems, monitoring the risk of damage in culti vations, need-based measures, as well as following up and evaluating the effectiveness of pest control measures.
2. Is produced in compliance with Regulation (EU) nr 2018/848 on organic production and labelling of organic products.
It is sufficient that the documentation of the traceability of the palm oil can be shown through a segregated supply chain (Identity Preserved or Segregated principle), or through the principle of Mass Balance.
Raw materials where the content of palm oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil derivatives and/or palm kernel oil derivatives is less than 1 percent.
1High Conservation Value
Concentrations of biological diversity including endemic species, and rare, threatened, or endangered species, that are significant at global, regional, or national levels.
Landscape-level ecosystems, ecosystem mosaics and IFL
Large landscape-level ecosystems, ecosystem mosaics and Intact Forest Landscapes (IFL) that are significant at global, regional, or national levels and that contain viable populations of thegreat majority of the naturally occurring species in natural patterns of distribution and abundance.
Ecosystems and Habitats
Rare, threatened, or endangered ecosystems, habitats or refugia.
Basic ecosystem services in critical situations, including protection of water catchmentsand control of erosion of vulnerable soils and slopes.
2HCV value approach
The method is used to identify and protect areas with high conservation value (HCV). https://hcvnetwork.org
3IPM (Integrated Pest Management)
Integrated Pest Management, IPM, concerns a sustainable use of plant protection products. By combining different types of measures, weeds, fungal diseases, and pests in the cultivation can be prevented or suppressed. Everyone using plant protection products shall apply integrated pest management.
Cultivating in accordance with these principles is effective regardless of the type of cultivation. Plant protection measures in your cultivation - Jordbruksverket.se (in Swedish)