Hazardous substances in consumable items
This criterion limits the content of substances that are hazardous to the environment or human health in ink, toner, and drum.
- Technical specification
- Consumable items
The consumable items offered shall meet the following:
- Ink, toner, and drum shall not contain substances present at the Candidate List, (Article 59 in Regulation (EG) no. 1907/2006), in concentrations exceeding 0.1% by weight.
- Ink and toner shall not contain the following substances1:
- Chromium VI compounds
- Azo dyes/pigments that can release carcinogenic aromatic amines, listed in Regulation (EU) No. 1907/2006, Annex XVII, Appendix 8.
- The drum shall not contain the following substances1:
Exemptions: High molecular weight complex nickel compounds used as colourants.
1 Ingoing substances are all substances in the product in concentrations exceeding 0,01% by weight. Ingoing substances are all substances intentionally added and impurities from the raw materials in the product. Impurities are reaction products, biproducts and degradation products.
The supplier shall, upon request, be abl to present a verification, for example one of the following:
- Ecolabelling according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel for Remanufactured OEM Cartridges, version 5 or later (does not verify nickel or drum).
- Ecolabelling, according to Blue Angel, (the German Ecolabel), Office Equipment with Printing Function, DE-UZ 219 (2021). Note that products labelled with Blue Angel also needs to have an extended license valid for the Swedish company placing the product on the market, in accordance with the rules of Blue Angel.
- Provide a summary of the documentation demonstrating that the offered products meet the above requirement.
- The Eco Declaration, ECMA 370 (only verifying the azo colourants) or similar documentation.
- Material safety data sheets, demonstrating that the ingoing colourants do not contain azo dyes, listed in Regulation (EU) No. 1907/2006, (REACH Regulation), Annex XVII, Appendix 8.
If the requirement has been verified with an ecolabel check for a valid ecolabelling license according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel or Blue Angel (the German Ecolabel). Note that a Nordic Ecolable only covers the toner cartridge, not the drum. Also note that products labelled with Blue Angel also needs to have an extended license valid for the Swedish company placing the product on the market, in accordance with the rules of Blue Angel.
Technical documentation/Material safety datasheets
If the requirement has been verified by technical documentation check that the analysis report or other technical documentation demonstrate that the offered consumable items meet the requirement.
If the colorants have been verified by material safety datasheets check that the material safety data sheets include the colourants and ensures that the azo dyes listed in Regulation (EU) No. 1907/2006, (REACH Regulation), Annex XVII, Appendix 8 are note present.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date
- Review date