Formaldehyde in furniture textiles, hides or leather
Formaldehyde has harmful properties that are toxic, sensitizing, can damage the genome and can cause cancer. The requirement limits the content of formaldehyde emitted from textiles.
- Technical specification
The content of emitted formaldehyde (CAS No 50-00-0) shall not exceed 75 ppm (75 mg/kg) in the constituent textiles, hides or leather in the products supplied in accordance with the contract. For products specially designed for infants and children under 3 years of age, the content shall not exceed 20 ppm (mg/kg).
When requested, the supplier must be able to present for example one of the following:
- Labellings for furniture that fulfil the requirement, such as a valid license for
- EU Ecolabel for furniture 2016/1332/EU
- Svanen’s criteria for furniture and furnishings, version 4 or later
- Labellings for constituent textiles, hides and leather that fulfil the requirement, such as a valid license for
- Nordic Ecolabel
- EU Ecolabel for textile products 2014/350/EU
- Bra Miljöval Textil (Good Environmental Choice Textile) Criteria 2012:3 (category fibre and preparation)
- GOTS version 5.0 (2017) or version 6.0 (2020)
- Oekotex standard 100 product class II (furniture with skin contact) 2019-2021
- Svanen (Nordic Swan Ecolabelling), Textile, hides/skins and leather, version 4 or version 5
- Bluesign version 10, (2019) or version 11 (2020) (area of application A)
- Analytical report from accredited laboratory with measured concentrations of formaldehyde that meet the limit value in the requirement. The analysis can be performed in accordance with Standard EN ISO-14184-1 or equivalent, or
- The company's self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task according to ISO/IEC 17029, or equivalent standard.
If the requirement has been verified with labelling, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This is checked on the respective website: Ökotex, Bra Miljöval, Svanen (Nordic Swan Ecolabelling), EU Ecolabel, GOTS, bluesign or Möbelfakta.
Request analytical reports for random sampling and verify that the values are below the requirement’s limit value. Also check that the analyses were carried out by an accredited laboratory.
Self-declaration verified by an accredited verification body
Request the company's self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task according to ISO/IEC 17029.
Subject matter of contract
Sustainable procurement of furniture
Information about the criterion
There are currently no accredited verification bodies according to ISO/IEC 17029 (Conformity Assessment – General Principles and Requirements for Validation and Verification Bodies), as it is a relatively new standard. However, this may change, especially if the demand to verify compliance in this way increases. This possibility is therefore included in the list of possible evidence. More information about the standard can be found on Swedac's website.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date