Formaldehyde in textile creative material
The purpose of this requirement is to minimize the content of formaldehyde in toys. Formaldehyde is toxic, allergenic and may cause genetic defects and cancer.
- Technical specification
- Creative materials
In textile creative material, the content of free and partly hydrolysed1 formaldehyde (CAS 50-00-0) shall not be present at level above 20 mg/kg.
1Hydrolysis is a chemical reaction in which molecules are broken down / divided by the addition of water.
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Valid license for any of for example the following labels for textile products:
- Nordic Ecolabelling for Textile, hides/skins and leather Version 4
- Ökotex Standard 100 (product class I) 2020-2022
- Good Environmental Choice Textiles 2012
- EU Ecolabel for textile products, Commission decision 2014/350/EU
- GOTS version 6.0 (2020)
- bluesign (BSSL) version 11 (2020) or version 12 (2021) (usage range A).
- Technical documentation, for example an analysis report from an accredited laboratory that contains information verifying that the requirement is met. Analyzes can be performed according to current versions of EN ISO-14184-1 or equivalent standard.
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
If the requirement has been verified with a label, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This can be checked: , Nordic Ecolabelling, Ökotex, Good Environmental Choice, EU Ecolabel, GOTS, bluesign.
If the requirement has been verified with analysis reports, perform spot-checks on the analysis reports and check that the values are below the requirement limit value for each substance. Also check that the analyses were performed by an accredited laboratory.
Self-declaration verified by an accredited verification body
If a verified self-declaration is used to prove that the requirement is fulfilled, request the supplier’s self-declaration, including documentation showing that the requirement is met. The self-declaration shall be verified by a verification body accredited for the task in accordance with ISO / IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Information about the criterion
There are currently a limited number of accredited verification bodies for ISO/IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies) as it is a relatively new standard. This may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. More information about the standard and accredited verification bodies can be found on Swedac's website.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date