Flame retardants in products CE-marked as toys
The purpose of this requirement is to avoid flame retardants that can be hazardous to the environment and health.
- Technical specification
- Products CE-marked as toys
Electronic products CE-marked as toys shall not contain1 halogenated flame retardants
Other products CE-marked as toys shall not contain1 chemical flame retardants.
1Content refers to flame retardants that are actively added or exceed 0.1 percent by weight (1000 mg/kg).
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Valid license for any of for example the following labels for textile toys:
- Nordic Swan Ecolabelling for toys, version 3 (note that version 2 cannot verify the requirement).
- Nordic Ecolabelling for Textile, hides/skins and leather Version 4
- Good Environmental Choice Textiles 2012
- GOTS version 6 (2020)
- Technical documentation, for example:
- Product information / product sheet with information on the product's content.
- Analysis report from an accredited laboratory that contains information verifying that the requirement is met.
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Product information / product sheet
If the requirement has been verified with product information/product sheets, check that it appears in the information that the product is free from flame retardants in concentrations above 0.1 percent by weight.
If the requirement has been verified with analysis reports, perform spot-checks on the analysis reports and check that the values are below the requirement limit value for each substance. Also check that the analyses were performed by an accredited laboratory.
Self-declaration verified by an accredited verification body
If a verified self-declaration is used to prove that the requirement is fulfilled, request the supplier’s self-declaration, including documentation showing that the requirement is met. The self-declaration shall be verified by a verification body accredited for the task in accordance with ISO / IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Information about the criterion
There are currently a limited number of accredited verification bodies for ISO/IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies) as it is a relatively new standard. This may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. More information about the standard and accredited verification bodies can be found on Swedac's website.
This advanced requirement shall not be used in conjunction with the core requirement since the core requirement is included in the advanced requirement.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date