Limitation of specific substances/substance groups Advanced
There are several problematic substances/substance groups that are difficult to exclude by means of general requirements for substances or classification of products. Therefore it is important to set requirements that minimizes the amount of such substances/substance groups in the products.
- Technical specification
- Chemical products
EDTA (CAS 60-00-4) shall not be ingredient1 in the product in concentrations above 0.2 weight percent.
The following substances and substance groups shall not be ingredients1 in the product:
- Alkylphenolethoxylates (APEOs )
- Organic chlorinated substances and hypochlorite's
- Substances evaluated by EU to be
- Substances evaluated by the EU to be PBT (persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic) or vPvB (very persistent and very bioaccumulative)2
- Substances on the Candidate list3
- Substances that are considered to be endocrine disruptors or potential endocrine disruptors4
Organic chlorinated substances may be included in preservatives used in dishwasher detergents for professional use.
1Ingredient substances are all substances in the product at levels greater than 0.01 weight percent. Ingredient substances are intentionally added substances and impurities from the raw materials in the product. Impurities are reaction products, by-products and degradation products are counted as impurities.
2Criteria for evalutation if a substances is PBT/vPvB can be found here https://www.kemi.se/prio-start/kriterier/kriterierna-i-detalj/pbtvpvb
3Candidate list can be found on the following link http://echa.europa.eu/candidate-list-table
4Endocrine disruptors category 1 och 2, see Study on enhancing the Endocrine Disrupter priority list with a focus on low production volume chemicals, appendix L :http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/endocrine/pdf/final_report_2007.pdf
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Valid license for any of for example the following labels:
Nordic Ecolabelling for:
Cleaning products, version 6
Hand dish washing detergents, version 6
Dishwasher detergents for professional use, version 3 (note that version 2 cannot verify the requirement)
Laundry detergents for professional use, version 3
Dish washer detergents and rinsing agents, version 6 or version 7
Laundry detergents and stain removers, version 8
- Certificate from the manufacturer of the product that none of the substances/substance groups in the requirement is present in levels above 0,01 weight%. Safety data sheets and other technical documentation for all the ingredient substances from the raw material suppliers shall be available as a basis for the certificate.
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
If the requirement is verified with a label, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This can be controlled here: Nordic Ecolabelleing (Nordic Swan).
Self-declaration verified by an accredtied verification body
If a verified self-declaration is used to prove that the requirement is fulfilled, request the supplier’s self-declaration, including documentation showing that the requirement is met. The self-declaration shall be verified by a verification body accredited for the task in accordance with ISO / IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Information about the criterion
Note that this requirement cannot be verified with safety data sheets neither for the product nor for the ingredient substances.
There are currently a limited number of accredited verification bodies for ISO/IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies) as it is a relatively new standard. This may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. More information about the standard and accredited verification bodies can be found on Swedac's website.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date
2022-07-07, Requirement ID 11295: 1: Update of requirements text.