Plastic packaging in pouches
By using plastic pouches as packaging the amount of packaging material is decreased. When this kind of packaging can be recycled the environmental gains are increased.
- Award criteria
- Cosmetic products
To be awarded points or price deduction in the evaluation of the bid, the supplier shall confirm that the pouches used as packaging, in the bid, fulfils the following:
- The primary packaging1 of laminate is made of:
monomaterial (PE, PP eller PET)
The closure2 is made of one of the following plastics:
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- The label is not made from PS (polystyrene) or halogenated plastics.
- Black primary packaging1and closures2 are not coloured with Carbon black.
- Fillers (such as CaCO3) can not be included in PE or PP packaging1 and closures2 at a level that the density of the plastic exceeds 0.995g / cm3.
- Barrier coatings can only be made from EVOH (Ethylene vinyl alcohol) in maximum amounts of 2 percent related to the total weight.
1Primary packaging includes pouches or other plastic “bags”.
2Closure includes caps/lids.
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Packaging specifications (inkluding pouch, label and closure) showing:
The materials in the packaging and closure and any barrier coatings.
For black packaging, information is also required on which pigments have been used for coloring.
Calculation of the density to ensure that the density limit is not exceeded..
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Check the packaging specification to ensure that it is in accordance with the requirement. If black packaging or closures are included, check in the specification that they are not coloured with carbon black. Check any calculations on the fillers to ensure that the density limits are fulfilled.
Self-declaration verified by an accredited verification body
If a verified self-declaration is used to prove that the requirement is fulfilled, request the supplier’s self-declaration, including documentation showing that the requirement is met. The self-declaration shall be verified by a verification body accredited for the task in accordance with ISO / IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
Information about the criterion
This requirement is an award criterion, i.e., it provides added value (points or price deductions) according to the evaluation model used, to the tender with bags / pouches in recyclable materials.
Note that pouches in laminate often consist of layers in several different plastics. There are a few pouches that are made of laminate from one plastic, which thus meet the requirement, and some bags that are made of the combination PE / PP. Before this requirement is set on bags, a market analysis should be made.
There are currently a limited number of accredited verification bodies for ISO/IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies) as it is a relatively new standard. This may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. More information about the standard and accredited verification bodies can be found on Swedac's website.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date
2022-07-07, Requirement ID 11334: 1: Update of the requirements text.