Labelling of plastic parts
The labelling of plastic parts indicating the type of plastic facilitates efficient recycling.
- Technical specification
Plastic parts with a weight greater than 100 g shall be marked in accordance with the standards “Generic identification and labelling of plastic products” (SS-EN ISO 11469:2016) and “Plastics – symbols and abbreviations” SS-EN-ISO 1043:2011 /Amd 1:2016 (parts 1-4) or equivalent standards.
Where fillers, flame retardants or plasticisers have been intentionally mixed into the plastic in proportions greater than 1 % by weight, the presence of these substances shall also be indicated on the labelling, in accordance with:
SS-EN-ISO 1043:2011 /Amd 1:2016, part 2-4 or equivalent standard.
The labelling of the plastic parts shall be clearly visible when visually examining the parts. However, the labelling does not need to be clearly visible when the furniture is fully assembled.
In exceptional cases, plastic parts of more than 100 g are exempt from labelling. This applies in the following cases:
- Labelling would adversely affect the performance or functionality of the plastic part.
- It is not technically possible to label the part
- The part cannot be labelled because there is no suitable surface large enough for the label to be legible and identifiable by a recycling company.
In the above cases, where parts do not need to be labelled, details of the polymer type and any additives, in accordance with the requirements of SS-EN-ISO 11469:201g and SS-EN-ISO 1043:2011 /Amd 1:2016 (Part 1-4) or equivalent standard, shall be made available on request and in written form.
The supplier shall, on request, be able to prove that the requirement has been fulfilled and shall indicate whether and why the exemption from labelling has been applied. [The contracting organisation] may request that the data be verified by an independent third party.
When requested, the supplier must be able to present for example one of the following:
- Labelling that fulfils the requirement, such as a valid license for
- Svanen (Nordic Swan Ecolabelling), Furniture and furnishings, version 4 or later
- EU Ecolabel
- other documentation proving that the requirement is met, for example, a declaration that this requirement is fulfilled and a list of all plastic parts in the furniture that weigh more than 100 g with a statement of how they are labelled in accordance with EN ISO 11469 and EN ISO 1043 (parts 1–4) or equivalent standards.
If the requirement has been verified with labelling, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This is checked on the respective website: Möbelfakta, Svanen (Nordic Swan Ecolabelling), EU Ecolabel.
Check that larger plastic parts are labelled with the type of plastic in accordance with the requirement.
Make sure that the supplier can provide the information specified in the requirement.
Subject matter of contract
Sustainable procurement of furniture
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date