Plastic packaging in pouches
By using plastic pouches as packaging the amount of packaging material is decreased. When this kind of packaging can be recycled the environmental gains are increased.
- Award criteria
- Chemical products
To be awarded [points or price deduction] in the evaluation of the bid, the supplier shall confirm that the pouches used as packaging, in the bid, fulfils the following:
- The primary packaging1 of laminate is made of:
monomaterial (PE, PP eller PET)
the combinationen PE/PP
- The closure2 is made of one of the following plastics:
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- The label is not made from PS (polystyrene) or halogenated plastics.
- The primary packaging1 is white or uncoloured.
- The closure2 is not black.
- Fillers (such as CaCO3) can not be included in PE or PP packaging1 and closures2 at a level that the density of the plastic exceeds 0.995g / cm3.
- Barrier coatings can only be made from EVOH (Ethylene vinyl alcohol) in maximum amounts of 2% related to the total weight
Packaging containing recycled plastics (Post Consumer Recycled) may be coloured/tinted. The colouration shall not be done with Carbon Black.
1Primary packaging includes pouches or other plastic “bags”.
2Closure includes caps/lids
The supplier shall, upon request, be able to present any of for example the following:
- Valid license for any of for example the following labels:
Nordic Ecolabelling for:
Hand dishwashing detergents, version 6
Cleaning products, version 6
- Packaging specifications (inkluding pouch, label and closure) showing:
The materials in the packaging and closure and any barrier coatings
The colour of the packaging and closure
Calculation of the density to ensure that the density limit is not exceeded.
- The supplier’s self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029 or equivalent standard.
If the requirement is verified with a label, check that there is a valid license for the product in question. This can be controlled here: Nordic Ecolabelling (Nordic Swan).
Check the packaging specification to ensure that it is in accordance with the requirement. Check in the specification what colours that have been used in the packaging and closures to ensure that the requirement is fulfilled. Check any calculations on the fillers to ensure that the density limits are fulfilled.
If the requirement has been verified with a self-declaration verified by an accredited body, request the supplier's self-declaration including technical documentation of compliance that has been verified by an accredited verification body, accredited for the task in accordance with ISO/IEC 17029.
Information about the criterion
This requirement is an award criterion, i.e., it provides added value (points or price deductions) according to the evaluation model used, to the tender with bags / pouches in recyclable materials.
Note that pouches in laminate often consist of layers in several different plastics. There are a few pouches that are made of laminate from one plastic, which thus meet the requirement, and some bags that are made of the combination PE / PP. Before this requirement is set on bags, a market analysis should be made.
There are currently no accredited verification bodies according to ISO / IEC 17029 (Conformity assessment - General principles and requirements for validation and verification bodies), as it is a relatively new standard. However, this may change, especially if the demand for verifying compliance in this way increases. This possibility is therefore included in the list of possible verifications. More information about the standard is available at www.swedac.se.
The version date indicates when the sustainability criterion was created or last updated. Last reviewed dated tells when we last checked that the sustainability criterion still is relevant.
- Current ID
- Version date